Modcloth: Filters & Sort

The objective was to evaluate the existing filters on the desktop site and understand which filters made sense on the mobile and tablet sites. My goal was to create a way for users to filter or sort when desired but to not intrude in the browsing experience, depending on which device the user was on. I found that different filters mattered more to users on different devices and iterated the designs based on this user feedback.

Visual Designer: Kari Waldrep

 
 

The first step was to start sketching out which filters we wanted to bring over to the mobile site and where it made sense to put these filters. I explored a few different options and then took them to user research.

 
 
 Early sketches for mobile

Early sketches for mobile

 Early sketches for tablet

Early sketches for tablet

 
 

During an initial round of research, we found that users didn't conceptually care about the difference between sorting and filtering. In fact, many users referred to sorting as a way of filtering the content below. After iterating on the designs and combing all the options into a "Refine Results" section, we found that users liked the simplicity of one area to manage the products they were seeing on the page.

 
wirefames.png
 

After iterating based on all the user research feedback, I worked with Kari Waldrep to finalize and apply the visual design before handing it off to the engineers for implementation.